Being a foster or adoptive parent is a rewarding and challenging experience and Austin Children’s Shelter will be with you each step of the way. Our goal is to help our foster and adoptive families be successful so our young people will be successful.
What You Can Expect From Us
- Pre-service training
- Ongoing support and development, including training on caring for youth that have experienced significant trauma
- 24/7 on-call crisis intervention support
- Connection to a quality community of foster parents
- Therapy for children and families
- Monthly reimbursement for fostering
- Respite services at Austin Children’s Services or other qualified facilities to provide a break when needed
- Assessment and consultation for foster children as needed
- Home visitation and case management services
- Health insurance for the child through Medicaid
- Supervised visitation with biological parents as determined by CPS
- Compassion and understanding of the joys and challenges of shared parenting
For more information about the program, view our Frequently Asked Questions.