I May Have Been Sexually Assaulted

If you think you may have been sexually assaulted, you have options. Remember that rape is never your fault no matter the circumstances.

To talk confidentially with someone about your options, call our 24/7 SAFEline 512.267.SAFE (7233) or chat with us at safeaustin.org/chat . No pressure – just information. Everything is confidential and free of charge at SAFE.

SAFE provides accompaniment to hospitals, law enforcement offices, prosecutors’ offices and courts.

Click on any of the options below to learn more.

Get a Medical Forensic Exam at Eloise House (FREE)

If you choose, our SAFEline staff can arrange for you to have a private exam by a specially-qualified nurse at Eloise House, which is on securely located on SAFE’s SafePlace Campus. They can provide both medical care and evidence collection.

If possible, do not change clothes, shower, brush your teeth, eat or drink, or use the bathroom until after your exam. If you have already done any of these things, it’s okay.

Your exam will be provided by a qualified nurse who will meet with you before the exam to discuss the process. If there is any part of the exam you are uncomfortable with, you can skip it.

See Your Own Doctor or Go to an ER

You can see your own doctor for medications to prevent sexually transmitted infections and to check to be sure you’re ok.

You can be seen in a hospital emergency department if you need emergency care. A specially trained advocate can meet you there 24/7 to provide support and information. Ask the hospital to call SAFE’s forensic dispatch line or you can call our SAFEline at 512.267.SAFE (7233).

You can see a forensic nurse at Eloise House for medical care along with an evidence collection exam.

UT Students

The UT Austin Campus is now offering FREE Sexual Assault Forensic Exams (SAFEs) in the Urgent Care extension building of the UHS. For more information, click here.

Additionally, UT students are always welcome to call our 24/7 SAFEline, 512.267.SAFE (7233), and receive a FREE exam at Eloise House.

Report to Police - Call 9-1-1

An officer will meet with you to talk about what happened, and a counselor from Victim Services may come to assist and support you.

If you don’t want to talk with the police now, and you are 18 years or older, you can still have a medical forensic exam. Any evidence collected is stored for two years to give you time to figure out what you want to do.

Get Support

Call our 24/7 SAFEline, 512.267.SAFE (7233) or contact us via chat, to talk with hotline staff about crisis support, safety planning, local resources, medical care, legal advocacy and counseling. We can help you sort out which resources are right for you.

Come meet with a counselor, learn about the counseling services available to you, and register for services.  You may walk-in on Wednesday mornings or schedule an intake at a different time.  Call the counseling intake line at 512.356.1553 for more information.

Sexual assault advocacy (e.g., assistance with crime victims compensation forms, connecting to resources, weighing options of getting a forensic exam, connecting to law enforcement, how loved ones can support a survivor, immediate registration for SAFE services, safety planning and screening for free emergency cell phones) and crisis intervention/face-to-face emotional support is available on a walk-in basis Monday-Friday between 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. No appointment necessary. Language accommodations available.  Call 512-267-7233 for more information or visit us at 1515 Grove Blvd. Building A. (take a sharp right into our driveway and look for the building on the left with the teal awning).

None of the Above

You may decide you don’t want any of these options at this point – that’s okay. Each person heals in their own way and for many that includes taking your time to figure out what you need.

If you’re still deciding whether or not you want to do anything, you can call our 24/7 SAFEline at 512.267.SAFE (7233) or via chat and hotline staff will talk with you about your options.

If you still have questions, please visit our FAQ page for more information.

Translate »