El servicio de chat de SAFEline es más accesible para los adolescentesEscrito por The SAFE Alliance
“This was so helpful, encouraging, and informative. Thank you for having this method of communication as an option. I probably would not have reached out for help in other options like phone or email tonight.” – Youth who used SAFEline chat
For years, people have relied on our hotline to seek assistance from SAFE. Last year we added an online chat service to provide another option for our community to contact us.
We asked teens what they thought about online chat. Here are some of their responses:
“It’s more comfortable than talking.”
“You can be more truthful and honest.”
“Chatting gives you time to think … It can be hard to voice your emotions.”
Another teen felt that a hotline was more “for emergencies.” She said she would use a chat line just to “talk.”
How to access SAFEline
SAFE’s online chat service is currently available from 12:30 p.m. to midnight Lunes through Viernes and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sábado and Domingo. It can be accessed in English and Spanish from a computer or mobile phone by clicking this link.
The 24/7 SAFEline number is 512.267.SAFE (7233), or toll free at 1-877-384-9891. Relay/VRS for the Deaf community, Spanish-speaking advocates, and interpretation services are available for callers who speak other languages.
Through SAFEline, we can:
- Offer a safe space for teens to talk about their concerns with an adult who cares and won’t judge
- Assist teens in determining if they or a loved one is being abused verbally, emotionally, or physically
- Help teens build a safety plan so they can find ways to be safe and avoid violence
- Find emergency shelter, whether it is with us or another agency
- Help teens access information and services to heal from the trauma of rape, sexual abuse, domestic violence, child abuse, or human trafficking
- Link teens to all SAFE services, including Expect Respect