Supporting Survivors of Sexual Assault in Central Texas
What you can do this month:
- Start by believing survivors of violence & assault
- Learn more about sexual assault, sexual harassment and your rights
- Attend one of the events or gatherings below
- Tuesday, April 5 – The Travis County Commissioners Court will make a Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Month Proclamation
- Tuesday, April 5 – Wear Teal Day of Action to show your support for survivors of sexual harassment and abuse by wearing teal — the color of sexual violence prevention.
- Thursday, April 7 – Opening of the What Was I Wearing Exhibit in-person gallery at the Consulate General of Mexico in Austin. More information about the opening ceremony and location here.
- Tuesday, April 12th from 1-2pm – “Legal Avenues to Healing & Justice” Panel by Texas Legal Services Center. Participants include Allison Kolb, Staff Attorney, Texas Advocacy Project; Shelli Egger, LASSA Managing Attorney, Texas Legal Services Center; and Jackie Davis, Family Team Group Coordinator, Texas RioGrande Legal Aid. Here is a link to the event: Legal Avenues to Healing & Justice: Civil Legal Resources for Survivors | Facebook
- Tuesday, April 19 – Thursday, April 21 – End Violence Against Women, International (EVAWI) Conference in San Francisco, with a virtual option available. Learn more here.
- By Monday, April 25 – Applications are due to attend APD Victim Services EMDR training. You can click the link below to learn more about this free training for counselors. for more information. Applications due by 4/25. APD Victim Services to Provide Free Training to Counselors (campaign-archive.com)
- Wednesday, April 27 – Denim Day is the day when millions of people across the world wear jeans in support of survivors of sexual violence. You can learn more here.
- Thursday, April 28 – UT Take Back the Night from 6-9 pm at the UT Main Mall. A gender-inclusive event highlighting the movement to end sexual violence. Survivors will be able to speak out in an open-mic session, enjoy performances, attend a resource fair, and get free food and wellness goodies during the event.
- Saturday, April 30 – The Brave Alliance Be Brave 5K family-friendly run/walk for Sexual Assault Awareness and Child Abuse Prevention Month. You can learn more and sign up here.
In addition, these events are available each week in April:
- UT Voices Against Violence Support Hour for Survivors of Interpersonal Trauma will be held on Mondays from noon to 1 pm CST (virtual)
- UT Voices Against Violence Yoga for Trauma and Healing Drop-in Group will be held on Mondays, 2 to 3:30 pm CST (virtual)
- UT Peer-led support groups to discuss sexual violence will be held Wednesdays at 5 pm, hosted by NAMI (virtual)